Wednesday, January 22, 2014

¡Hola Familia y Amigos! - January 13, 2014

January 13, 2014

¡Hola Familia y Amigos! 

Well, everything is going pretty well here ;) I feel that I am getting pretty adjusted to the Missionary Life. I have a hard time still with contacting people in the streets; I am afraid that I won´t be able to understand them when they talk back to me :) At one point my companion told me to contact a lady in the street, so I said ´Hola, Buenas Tardes´, shook her hand ,and them just stood there smiling at her. I guess I forgot that I had to speak :) It wasn´t until she started walking away that I realized that I needed to do something, but my companion jumped in saved me... sorta. He thought it was really hilarious, and needless to say, doesn't have a lot of confidence in my ability to speak to people, and he does most of the talking... which is a little frustrating at times when I want to contribute. And then when he nudges me to tell me that I should say something, I am often unprepared. It's hard sometimes, when I can see what the investigators needs to hear, but I can't express it clearly or quickly enough to really contribute much. I get cut off a lot :) I recognize that it is all part of learning the language :) Every now and then my companion and I have different Ideas, and with the language barrier, It's super hard to argue my point. But no, Elder Baptista has to be super patient to deal with me sometimes, and my lack of language and teaching skills :)  

We have a Sister and her son who are getting baptized this Saturday! 
It is exciting to have a baptism so early in the Mission. In truth, it is the work of my companion and his former companion, but it is exciting to participate in preparing them for baptism. She has a lot of faith, and has withstood some persecution from her family. She doesn't know a lot of doctrine, but has faith for sure. Her 11 year old son remembers everything we teach :) He knows it, but I am not sure if he really feels it as much as his mother. We are going to be visiting them a lot this week to get them prepared.

I have had some interesting experiences. One of which, we tried to have a lesson with a less active member who has, I feel, a slightly unstable sister who lives with him. We got there, and she started talking/yelling about how the world was such a terrible place and full of hypocrites, and how her brother, whom we were teaching, was one of which. She claims that he acts as a Saint when we are there, and is drunk when we leave. I am not inclined to believe her.... Anyway, Elder Baptista read a few scriptures about humility and turning the other cheek, and then we left. The spirit of contention was too strong there. Apparently she was speaking quite a few curse words, which I didn't understand, thanks to my lack of Spanish :) My companion claims that it is good that I didn't understand everything.... 
We also have some investigators who have a lot of doubts, most of which are about small details that have nothing to do with their salvation. Like why all the prophets are americano, why the name Lehi doesn't appear in the bible, details about the law of Moses, etc.  We have also taught some people who have talked with the Jehovah witnesses, one of which has turned out to be a wonderful investigator. She is a cousin and a reference from a family in the ward. I have really been able to participate in teaching her, and it has felt great. I have great hopes for her and her family. 
We have a a companionship of Elders who claims that there house that they are staying in is haunted... idk :) 

And I sort of dreamt in Spanish last night (ok, a little) so this is good ;) 

I am hungry All The Time! It's not for lack of food though, the food is really good here! Lots of tortillas ;) 

I really have been enjoying my mission, even though it's hard sometimes. 
I really don't think there is anywhere else I would rather be.  

I love you all, and pray for you! 
Thank you for your e-mails! I can truly fell your love from here. 

Elder Redford

No comments:

Post a Comment